NRS Isaiah 11:9 “They will not hurt or destroy on all my holy mountain; for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.”
PEC gives three awards each year, two for an individual and the other to an organization. Individuals are eligible for the William Gibson Eco-Justice Award or the Emerging Earth Care Leader Award (for 18-30 year olds). Congregations, governing bodies, ecumenical agencies, and Presbyterian-related entities may be nominated for the Restoring Creation Award.
The Eco-Justice Award is named for the Rev. William Gibson. Rev. Gibson was a founding member of PEC, author and eco-justice advocate, and editor of the book, “Eco-Justice-The Unfinished Journey.” Rev. Gibson was a leading member of the Presbyterian Eco-Justice Task Force, Presbyterians for Restoring Creation, and the Eco-Justice Working Group of the National Council of Churches.
These awards are presented to individuals and groups whose work for the environment is particularly praise-worthy and creative. The criteria for each of the awards are listed below.
William Gibson Eco-Justice Award Individuals whose faith-based work for the environment deserves recognition may be nominated for the William Gibson Eco-Justice Award. This award honors an individual who
- Has a long history of being a good steward of the earth
- Promotes sustainable practices for individuals or organizations
- Motivates and inspires others to care for God’s creation
- Demonstrates active care and concern for the sacred bond that exists between all things, living and nonliving.
Restoring Creation Award Faith-based organizations including congregations, governing bodies, ecumenical agencies, and Presbyterian-related entities are eligible for the Restoring Creation Award for environmental work that stands out as exemplary. This award honors an organization that
- Demonstrates sustainable practices and models them for other organizations
- Operates in a manner that is consistent with good stewardship of God’s creation
- Partners with other organizations to leverage resources for greater impact
- Encourages continuous environmental efforts within the organization.
Emerging Earth Care Leader Award Individuals, ages 18 to 30, who demonstrate outstanding potential as future leaders that connect their faith with creation may be nominated for the Emerging Earth Care Leader Award. This award honors an individual who
- Demonstrates sustainable practices and motivates others to care for God’s creation
- Expands earth stewardship and sustainable practices through organizing, developing, and/ or presenting one or more activities, projects, publications or events
- Incorporates care and concern for the sacred bond between all living things.
If you are a member of Presbyterians for Earth Care, you are welcome to nominate an awardee. If you are not a member and would like to make a nomination, you can join now.