The Standing Rock Protest Against the Dakota Access Pipeline
Actions you can take to support the Water Protectors at Standing Rock
The PEC Advocacy Committee wrote a call to action that calls on all Presbyterians and people of faith to take action in response to the resumed construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline. The call to action begins with reasons for the call and concludes with the following actions:
- Defund banks that support the DAPL. Close your accounts and encourage all organizations, governments and colleges you are associated with to do the same. A list of these can be found here.
- Donate money to: Presbyterians for Earth Care, Presbytery of the Northern Plains (in North Dakota), com, the legal fund at Sacred Stone Legal Defense Fund, Red Warrior Legal Defense Fund, and Synod of Lakes and Prairies, 2115 Cliff Drive, Eagan, MN 5512. Payable to: Synod of Lakes and Prairies; note: Dakota Access Pipeline Acct #2087, to help defend those who have been arrested and to fight in court the easement granted by the Army Corps of Engineers.
- PROTEST to support our Indigenous brothers and sisters against the DAPL in our cities, including Washington, DC (standwithstandingrock.net/march/), and at Army Corps of Engineers offices.
- PRAY for those at Standing Rock and pray that God’s justice will prevail with the DAPL.
- SPEAK OUT REPEATEDLY to government officials, especially your U.S. Senators and Representatives. Call Senator Maria Cantwell, Chair of the Committee on Indian Affairs and other members of the committee. gov has contact information for legislators as well as pending bills and other legislative information and activities.
- Stay informed. Know the facts. Keep your contacts informed through social media.
- Boycott Sunoco, Phillips 66, Chevron and Conoco who are associated with Energy Transfer Partners and DAPL. Encourage others to do the same.
Presbytery of Northern Plains sends support to pipeline “protectors” in North Dakota
Give to stand in solidarity with the Native Americans at Standing Rock
Native Americans at Standing Rock need your support as they protest the Dakota Access Pipeline. Click here to donate to the Northern Plains Earth Care Team to purchase supplies to take to Standing Rock. Mark your donation for Presbyterians for Earth Care Team and note that it is for Standing Rock.